Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Gratitude for blessings

Since this whole blog thing is an attempt at journaling, I'm taking my literary license to write about a few things that are tumbling through my head. Today Jef and I learned that a man we work with and his wife delivered a stillborn baby boy two weeks before his due date. I cannot imagine the pain and grief they are experiencing and our most sincere prayers go to them that they would be comforted by the Holy Ghost and feel the love of the Savior through that comfort. Last week another friend told me that he and his wife have seperated and again the only thing that I could do for him and perhaps the best thing is to call down the powers of heaven to be with him and his wife and especially their children. Also last week my 17 year-old nephew was shot in the leg by a careless friend (and I use the word loosely) because he wanted to see what a gunshot feels like. I know, STUPID STUPID beyond belief. Don't even get me started. As I look at these situations, a stillborn, a family in crisis and the results of a broken family I see the pain that fills this world. It makes the problems that I have seem small in comparison and makes me grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ and the blessing of having a prophet that leads and guides aright. I'm grateful for the plan of happiness that lays out for us the path that leads us back to our Father in Heaven. I'm grateful for the eternal love that He has for each of us that He would provide a plan so simple and beautiful. One that can provide comfort even as young parents realize their very worst fears. Most of all I am grateful for the atoning sacrifice of our Saviour Jesus Christ and through that sacrifice we can repent, recieve forgiveness and move forward in our progression towards eternal life. I am very grateful for my family. For a husband who loves God, me, and our children. And I am grateful for my children. I am grateful that 2o some years ago we listened to a prophet that told mothers that their most important job was the rearing of children. To stay home and be with them. One thing is for sure, I will never regret that decision, but as my children leave home, I'm quite certain I would have regretted leaving them. I'm grateful I don't have to carry that burden. I'm grateful for the "Proclaimation to the World" written by prophets that outlines for us the best way to achieve happiness in family life. It is a blessing to know that there is the possibility of happiness in this life and pure joy in the next if we just adhere to the commandments of a loving Heavenly Father.

2 comments:

The Easton Family said...

I'm grateful for you and the example you are to me!

Ashley said...

We are grateful for your family's example to us and the strength you our in our lives. We appreciate that we can call you friend. Thank you for your post- I so needed it today.