Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Dear Mr. President Elect:

Living in Washington state, I have just learned that the ballot initiative allowing doctor assisted suicide has passed. I looked on-line and saw that almost every single state that had some sort of abortion initiative voted in favor of the abortion. I cannot understand where the sanctity of life has gone. I hear politicians end every speech with God bless America, but how can He when we don't value the lives of Americans -born and unborn? I am saddened that our new president elect is so far from me on this issue. How can you hear an unborn baby's heartbeat, or see an unborn baby in an ultra-sound sucking its thumb or feel a baby kick and not think that it is alive and that there is life there? I am a firm believer in choice. But I am a more firm believer in the consequences -natural and logical of our choices. If I choose to put my hand on a hot stove, I do not get to choose if I get burned or not. I believe that a woman's "choice" happens long before a pregnancy. She has in essence already chosen life by the very act of sexual intimacy. Pregnancy is after all the "natural and logical" consequence of such an action. And while we are talking choice, who chooses for the newly created life, because if we follow pro-choice logic, shouldn't every life receive a choice? In this argument, I will allow for the fact that I have never been pregnant and alone (by choice I might add) and don't know all of the emotions that coincide with such a situation, but our life is not measured by our emotions, it is measured by our actions. What sort of future can we hope for for our nation when the very people, women, endowed from on high to be co-creators of life selfishly end it so as not to be accountable for their actions. What sort of generation are we really creating by allowing such laws? I believe that nothing brings hope like a newborn. All the world is just waiting to be rediscovered and conquered in a baby and we elect leaders who claim to love America, but not the hope of America. How much longer can we expect protection from above when we do not protect the most innocent of all?

5 comments:

ShaRee said...

Yea...let me know if he does answer you. Abortion drives me wild with anger. I am with you!

Kristen and Alex said...

Jeannie...You worded this post so beautifully. It is really tragic to think that so many states passed those initiatives. Being pregnant, I can't imagine taking the life away from this being inside me because he is DEFINITELY his very own being. He moves and kicks whenever he wants to, so shouldn't he be able to choose his own life too? I don't control him. Thank you for this post. Maybe some "pro-choice" person will run across it and it will change their minds about abortion.

lissiemarie said...

I felt really deeply sad with the whole election thing too. People in this country on the whole (it sound like from the election) are far removed from the spirit. So much of it had to do with how it was presented -good evil and evil good...

Conference was so positive that I take great hope from that.

Sure miss my great exercise friend!

Vicki Sabin said...

AMEN!
:)

Jennes said...

Jeanie, this was just beautiful. It is so nicely put. Thank you for your thoughts.